-- It probably was not the way
planned to spend his birthday. Quentin announced Wednesday, his 31th birthday, that he will undergo another knee surgery next week and miss the rest of the season.
Quentin, hitting .275 with 13 home runs and 44 RBI, will have a procedure to clean up loose cartilage in his right knee within a week, he said. It will the third operation on his right knee in about 18 months.
Quentin underwent his first surgery in 2012 spring training and missed the first two months of the season. He had torn meniscus repaired last October, which kept him from having a full spring training this year.
"Last year it lingered and it put me behind the 8-ball," Quentin said. "The hope here is to have it strong and ready to go, so I can go into spring training healthy and have the best chance of success for 2014."
Quentin and the
decided a week ago that surgery was necessary, but there was some concern that a more invasive micro-fracture procedure would be necessary. Quentin said those concerns were alleviated in the past week, when he was able to run more comfortably. He has not played since July 30.
Quentin signed a four-year, $37.03 million contract late last season that includes a team option for 2016.
"We felt that even though he is improving, that there just wasn't enough season left for him to ramp it back up and get back on the field and play" this season,
manager Bud Black said.
"This gives Carlos and the medical staff a jump start on the rehab process and getting himself and his knee in the best possible condition for next spring. They feel he'll be ready to go 100 percent in spring training, full activity."
Follow Jack Magruder on Twitter