Boxing

Cleverly hasn't watched opponent much

Share This Story

   
 

LIVERPOOL, England (AP)

WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly says he has only watched challenger Tony Bellew fight once during his preparations for their title bout on Saturday.

Cleverly was scheduled to take on the former three-time ABA heavyweight champion in May, but Bellew failed to make the weight.

Cleverly said Thursday that ''I've seen what I've had to see and I will just go in and do my thing.''

He added that ''I'm ready to shock an awful lot of people and make the bookies lose an awful lot of money.''

The buildup for the fight has included heated confrontations between the pair. Police also had to be called in at one press conference last month after a row between Cleverly's father and trainer, Vince, and Bellew's camp.

The 24-year-old Cleverly has said he will retire if he loses the bout.

Related Stories

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by



Boxing Videos

In Focus: The man trying to save USA Boxing Posted: Jul 12, 2012
From TV tycoon to friend of USA Boxing. Laura Okmin learns how one man is hoping...

Remarkable Moments: Torchbearers Posted: Jul 20, 2012
Peter Schrager on two remarkable moments with Olympic Torchbearers.

Roundtable: How to handle the media Posted: Jul 15, 2012
Maurice Greene, Bryan Clay and Amy Van Dyken discuss how media impacts Olympic a...

Fox Sports Store