FOX Sports Exclusive
Fantasy impact: Ryan Braun suspension
In the words of Hawk Harrelson: "Be gone!"
After years of suspicion and months of investigating, Major League Baseball suspended Ryan Braun the rest of the 2013 season - a total of 65 games.
For fantasy baseball owners, the news comes at the worst possible time. Although, I think when it comes to suspensions of this magnitude, there is no perfect time. Owners who drafted Braun made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.
So, what are Braun owners’ remaining options? Truth be told, it may not be as difficult to replace him in your starting outfield as in seasons’ past. He finished the season with a .298 batting average / .372 OPB / 30 R / 9 HR / 38 RBI and 4 SB – these are NOT MVP fantasy numbers.
Here are my top five suggestions off the waiver wire:
1) Marlon Byrd (owned in 17.8 percent of leagues) - .277 BA / 42 R / 17 HR / 56 RBI
2) Alfonso Soriano (owned in 46.6 percent of leagues) - .259 BA / 46 R / 17 HR / 51 RBI / 10 SB
3) Raul Ibanez (owned in 53.3 percent of leagues) - .398 OBP / 10 HR / 16 R / 20 RBI in last 30 games
4) Jayson Werth (owned in 39.3 percent of leagues) - .455 OBP / 5 HR / 17 R / 16 RBI in last 30 games
5) Minor League Special: George Springer could be called up by the Houston Astros at any moment. He’s destroying the ball at Triple-A. Springer owns a .371 batting average with a .464 OBP, nine home runs, 21 RBI, 13 R, six stolen bases in only 70 at bats. If you added up his 2013 season in Double-A and Triple-A, Springer has 27 homers with 29 stolen bases. Nasty.
More Stories From Ryan Fowler