Davies sounds Twitter warning
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:12:00
Brazilian wonderkid Neymar has again reiterated his desire to snub lucrative moves to Europe and commit to Santos until 2014.
The 20-year-old is one of world football's most sought-after young talents, with his performances in his homeland attracting the attention of some of the game's biggest clubs.
Barcelona were widely believed to be the frontrunners to sign the striker, though Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United have all been credited with an interest.
Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro revealed earlier this month that a proposed move to Stamford Bridge over the summer never materialised, while Man City boss Roberto Mancini has said he would discuss Neymar's situation with new director of football Txiki Begiristain.
Neymar himself has always been keen to play down any talk of a move to Europe, stressing the benefits of developing his game in the Brasileirao.
That has not stopped the speculation, however, and the forward appeared exasperated when he was quizzed about his future in New Jersey, where he is with the Brazilian national team for a friendly with Colombia.
"When will you stop asking me that? I'm tired already," he told Globo Esporte.
"I have a contract with Santos until 2014 and I intend to see it out.
"If I stay or leave before that it's up to Santos' president."
Former Brazil striker Ronaldo believes Neymar faces a difficult balancing act between his own development as a player and his status as the poster-boy for Brazilian football.
"This is a complicated matter because it involves Brazilian passion, our biggest idol at the moment and our will to see him playing here every weekend," the 36-year-old told Arena Sportv.
"But for his career development, to fight to be the world's best player, he should be playing for a big European club.
"If would be interesting for the national team if he played for a big European club, so that he would be ready and experienced to face any defence in the World Cup.
"If he goes to Europe, he'll be fighting for the world's best player award with Crisitano Ronaldo and [Lionel] Messi."
The Bantams needed a penalty shootout to see off their opponents after the tie ended 3-3 at the end of extra time.
Ishmel Demontagnac's 43rd-minute penalty for Northampton cancelled out Will Atkinson's opener before Nahki Wells' last-minute penalty appeared to have won it for Bradford, only for Clive Platt to send the tie to extra-time with a goal in the dying seconds.
Kelvin Langmead appeared to have won it for Northampton when he made it 3-2 in the 109th minute, but Bradford defender Carl McHugh equalised in the last minute of extra time and Parkinson's side held their nerve to win the shootout 4-2.
"We should have won the match in 90 minutes," said Parkinson. "The game should have been done and dusted, but the lads never know when they are beaten, Carl McHugh has scored the equaliser and the rest is history."
Parkinson said he was disappointed that Bradford were not awarded a penalty when teenage substitute Adam Baker appeared to be brought down by Northampton left-back Joe Widdowson two minutes after they had gone in front for the first time.
"It should have been a red card and a penalty," he said. "Northampton then got a contentious penalty for an equaliser and that changed the course of the game."
Davies, who made his 600th career appearance in Wanderers' 2-2 draw at Blackpool on Saturday, was an active participant on the social media site until May 2011.
The 34-year-old took exception to abusive messages aimed at himself and wife Emma and although he still uses his Twitter page, it is predominantly to retweet information on charitable causes.
Marvin Sordell was the subject of vile slurs on the site after claiming he was racially abused while warming up as a substitute during Bolton's defeat against Millwall last month.
An offensive banner about the England Under-21 forward unfurled at the New Den last weekend in the wake of a 13-year-old fan being banned over the Sordell incident stands as the latest fall-out.
On the barbs thrown his team-mate's way, Davies said: "I've heard a few things. I don't really go on Twitter anymore so I can't really comment.
"If it was me, I would advise not to go on it. I enjoyed my time on it because it gave you the opportunity to have conversations with fans and people and charities - that was fantastic.
"But when it gets to the point where you get abuse and stuff I think it can play on your mind, it can affect you.
"If you're not sleeping at night wondering what you're going to be waking up to, I don't think you really gain anything out of being on there."
Not that Davies thinks Twitter is without its merits, having enjoyed the opportunity for fan interaction that the modern game often denies.
"When I was on there I had some great conversations with people," he said.
"Sometimes after games you can't sleep and you're having random conversations with a fan - that side, I absolutely loved it,
"People say it's only 'the one per cent' but one per cent of 180,000 people following me, that's still a lot of stick to be getting.
"If you get family and things brought into it like that I just don't think you need that in your life."
In the wake of Bolton's 5-0 FA Cup semi-final thrashing against Stoke in April 2011, seasoned-pro Davies found the slings and arrows difficult to deal with - making him ponder the detrimental effect of Twitter on younger players like Sordell.
He added: "After semi-finals and stuff I was hurting and everyone else was, and it just comes to a point where you're constantly checking, wondering if you're getting stick.
"Why do you need that? Just concentrate on your football. What you are gaining out of it as a 21 or 22-year I old, I don't know.
"I came off it and I felt a big weight off my shoulders because you're constantly having to wonder what you're tweeting or having to justify yourself."