English League 1

Bury director explains embargo

Share This Story

   
 

Fri, 21 Dec 2012 11:52:00

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini says he is ready to give temperamental striker Mario Balotelli another chance.

Balotelli backed down over a ?340,000 fine for ill-discipline this week, abandoning his appeal to a Premier League tribunal.

The situation had increased speculation he could leave City during the January transfer window but Mancini welcomed the U-turn and challenged the 22-year-old to now force his way back into the first-team.

Mancini said: "This is an old situation and it is normal when someone does a mistake he should take his responsibilities and Mario did this. It's normal.

"He (should) respect himself, not me, because it's important for him to respect himself, very important.

"I am his manager, like other players, and if he deserves to have other chances he will have them."

Balotelli will not feature in Saturday's visit of Reading after missing training with a virus.

Mancini said: "This weekend Mario, unfortunately, is ill. He came (on Friday morning) but he can't do anything."

Don't miss any live and exclusive football coverage this festive season. Click here to visit Sky Sports' Festive Calendar

Last week the Shakers announced they were under embargo due to a short-term loan obtained until mid-January and David Manchester claims the shortfall is merely a matter of timing rather than anything more severe.

"It's within our means and we're confident we can pay it back in the time allocated," he said.

"It's all gone on expenses. Cash is king and sometimes it's just a timing issue and with us it's a timing issue.

"It's a difficult time over Christmas. Just an example, we were due to play Sheffield United in January. That's got put back and it's a midweek game.

"We'll lose about 2,000 fans - that's ?30,000. All these things can conspire against you over time but we've been through worse than this before and got through it and we'll do the same again."

Manchester is confident manager Kevin Blackwell will be able to return to the transfer market in the January window and, in the meantime, discussions are ongoing with the Football League over whether Bury can extend the stays of their six-player loan contingent while the embargo is in effect.

"That's something that we're discussing with the Football League at the moment," Manchester added.

"First of all you've got to find out if the players want to stay here, then you've got to establish will the parent clubs allow them to stay here?

"So there's all these things to be considered and then we can talk to the Football League and see what we can do."

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by