Cardoza expects more arrivals
Wed, 03 Jul 2013 11:21:00
The future of Joey Barton remains uncertain, with the midfielder seeking a move but forced back to training at Queens Park Rangers.
Barton spent the 2012/13 campaign on loan at Marseille after being deemed surplus to requirements at Loftus Road.
The 30-year-old thoroughly enjoyed his time in France and had been hoping to complete a permanent switch this summer.
No deal has been put in place, though, as he remains tied to a long-term contract in England.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp admits he is in the dark when it comes to Barton's future, with there no indication that a compromise which suits all parties is close to being reached.
He told talkSPORT: "He wants to go to Marseille and he did very well there last year, but he's got two years left of his deal here.
"I think he's looking for the club to give him a payday here and then he'll go. I don't know how it's all going to end."
Barton missed the start of pre-season training at QPR, revealing that he was planning on working on his fitness by himself, but took to Twitter on Wednesday to confirm that he was heading back in.
He posted: "Up and off to training today. 1st day back. Like a new term at school. Albeit a school, you were once expelled from..."
Meanwhile, Redknapp has admitted that he is hoping to put the funds generated by the sale of Chris Samba back to Anzhi Makhachkala towards piecing together a promotion-winning squad.
He added: "Chris Samba did leave yesterday (Tuesday). We've got our money back and I thought it was a good deal for the club. It didn't really work out for him here.
"That gives us some ammunition though to go out and get four or five players with that money and improve the team as a whole."
Manager Aidy Boothroyd has so far brought in goalkeeper Matt Duke and midfielder Ian Morris this summer, although the likes of Adebayo Akinfenwa, Luke Guttridge, Ben Harding, Clarke Carlisle, Nathan Cameron, John Johnson, Louis Moult and Jake Robinson have all left Sixfields in one way or another.
And Cardoza is anticipating at least another three new faces before the Cobblers kick off their 2013/14 campaign at York on August 3.
"We are going to have a smaller squad than we did last season but I still think there will be three or four senior players coming in before the start of the season," he told the club's official website.
"The emphasis is always on bringing in quality but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to pay huge amounts of money.
"Aidy is working within the budget, it's a perfectly decent budget and it sometimes takes time to bring in the players that you want.
"He's already signed Matt Duke and Ian Morris and kept hold of Kelvin Langmead, Roy O'Donovan, Lee Collins and Ben Tozer."