San Lorenzo pips Boca Juniors
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)
San Lorenzo pulled to within two points of the lead in the Argentine league with a 1-0 victory Sunday over Buenos Aires archrival Boca Juniors.
Angel Correa scored in the 47th minute, sweeping in and driving a close-range shot into the top of the net.
WORLD CUP NEWS
- Fans injured in Brazil shooting
- Qatar World Cup to be moved
- Confusion over World Cup air travel
- Blatter takes swipe at Brazil prep
- Special riot police team created
- Stadium worker falls to his death
- Two die as stadium collapses
- Hotels asked to explain price hikes
- Pre-World Cup event called off
- Protesters disrupt FIFA's Brazil visit
- FIFA sets 2014 World Cup ticket prices
- Brazil defends right to host World Cup
- Blatter: Brazil WC might be mistake
San Lorenzo, the favorite club of Argentine-born Pope Francis, improved to 26 points, two behind leader Newell's. Arsenal has 25 and Boca 24 through 14 of 19 matches. Lanus has 22.
San Lorenzo was better than Boca throughout the match, but managed only one goal despite dominating.
In other matches Sunday, Lanus defeated Tigre 3-2 and Quilmes and Velez Sarsfield drew 1-1.
Nicolas Pasquini, Ismael Blanco and Fernando Barrientos scored for Lanus before Tigre got late goals from Matias Perez Garcia and Facundo Sanchez.
Facundo Diz scored for Quilmes and Facundo Cardozo equalized for Velez.
On Friday, it was: Arsenal 1, All Boys 1; Colon 2, Newell's 2.
On Saturday, it was: Argentinos Juniors 4, Olimpo 0; Rosario Central 3, Atletico Rafaela 2; Godoy Cruz 1, Belgrano 1; Gimnasia 1, Racing Club 3.