FA confirms Suarez charge
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:01:00
Catania players Mariano Andujar and Giuseppe Bellusci have been banned for three Serie A matches after fighting broke out at the end of yesterday's Sicilian derby.
Moments after Palermo midfielder Josip Ilicic scored in the fourth minute of stoppage time to secure a 1-1 draw, following Pablo Barrientos' opener, goalkeeper Andujar and defender Bellusci became involved in a group scuffle on the Stadio Angelo Massimino pitch.
A statement published on legaseriea.it read: "Mariano Andujar is banned for three games for grabbing an opponent by the neck before hitting him with punches to the stomach with the ball out of play.
"Giuseppe Bellusci is banned for three games for tugging and pulling at an opponent's neck repeatedly at the end of the game."
The duo will miss Serie A games against AC Milan, Siena and Sampdoria.
The Lega also issued Catania with a fine of 6,000 euros after fans threw a flare towards visiting fans.
No Palermo players were sanctioned for their involvement but defender Andrea Dossena activated a one-match ban by earning his fifth yellow card of the season.
The Minstermen, unbeaten in their last fives games, winning three of those, climbed two points clear of the relegation zone by beating Southend 2-1 in their final home game on Saturday in front of their biggest crowd of the season, 5,975.
"I've been amazed by York City's supporters since day one when we were playing at Wimbledon and 500 were in the away end," Worthington told the York Press.
"The support home and away is phenomenal and we just want to give them something to smile and shout about."
York travel to Dagenham & Redbridge in their final game on Saturday without having to rely on other results to ensure another season in League Two.
"We've got one game left and it's in our hands," Worthington added.
"We're in a good position because we know what we need to do and are only focused on that game now."
Green tendered his resignation as chief executive on Friday following a number of claims surrounding his dealings with former owner Whyte before his consortium took control at Ibrox in June last year.
International law firm Pinsent Masons, based in London, will work in conjunction with financial experts from Deloitte.
A club statement read: "Rangers International Football Club plc ("Rangers") has instructed the law firm Pinsent Masons, supported by forensic investigators from Deloitte, to investigate the connections between Craig Whyte and former and current personnel of Rangers and its subsidiaries."
Rangers earlier issued a separate statement to the London Stock Exchange announcing that Sevco 5088 - the company at the centre of a dispute between Green and Whyte - was a subsidiary of the club at the time of their flotation on the stock exchange.
The statement added that Green was a director of Sevco 5088, which was used to buy the assets and business of the liquidation-bound club in May last year.
Whyte claims he was behind the firm and has threatened legal action arguing he is the rightful owner of Ibrox and other club assets.
The assets were transferred to another new company, Sevco Scotland, days after the ?5.5million purchase in June last year, when the club was consigned to liquidation over tax debts accrued during Whyte's tenure.
This new company became The Rangers football Club Ltd, which is owned by holding company Rangers International Football Club PLC, which was floated on the AIM division of the London Stock Exchange in December.
Green tendered his resignation on Friday days after the club board announced an independent report into the allegations over the extent of his association with Whyte.
In a statement released by the club on April 5, Green said: "In a discussion with Mr Whyte, who taped some conversations, I am alleged to have said: 'You are Sevco, that's what we are saying'.
"This is correct but at that point I had signed a resignation letter and a stock transfer form because it was decided that a Scottish company should buy a Scottish institution. Sevco 5088 wasn't required."
There was no announcement today over the appointment of an interim replacement for Green, who stepped down with immediate effect.
Reports have claimed that Craig Mather, a major investor who was brought on board by Green in the early stages of the new company, is favoured by some directors to take over on an interim basis.
Another director, Phil Cartmell, who is chairman of Slough-based engineering firm Corac, is said to be close to leaving the board.
The incident occurred in the 74th minute of Sunday's 2-2 Premier League draw at Anfield, in which Suarez went on to score a 96th-minute equaliser.
Suarez could face an extended ban after the FA claimed the standard three-match ban for violent conduct was "clearly insufficient".
An FA statement read: "The FA has charged Liverpool forward Luis Suarez with violent conduct.
"The charge follows an incident with Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in yesterday's fixture at Anfield [21 April 2013].
"The incident was not seen by the match officials and has therefore been retrospectively reviewed.
"It is alleged that the conduct of Suarez constitutes violent conduct and it is the FA's contention that the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient in these circumstances.
"Suarez has until 6pm on Tuesday 23 April to respond to the charge, thereafter an Independent Regulatory Commission will be convened this Wednesday, 24 April."
Liverpool have pledged not to sell the Uruguay international after his latest transgression, despite many commentators suggesting they should offload a player who had brought more than his fair share of controversy.
The 26-year-old has been fined - with the player requesting the money goes to the Hillsborough Family Support Group - but that will be the extent of the club's discipline.
Suarez, however, has been told that there cannot be any repeat offences and that he must change his behaviour on the pitch.
Asked whether the incident would have any effect on the player's future managing director Ian Ayre, who has liaised with owners Fenway Sports Group over the last 24 hours, told liverpoolfc.com: "No, not at all.
"It affects his future in the sense that we have to work with him on his discipline - but Luis is a very important player to the club.
"He signed a new four-year contract last summer and we'd all love to see him here throughout that contract.
"He's a fantastic player, top scorer and everything we'd want in a striker, so there's no change there.
"This is more about getting him back on the right track and it's largely down to Brendan (Rodgers) now to work with him on that side of his character, Brendan will be working with him further on his discipline."
The fact remains a number of Europe's top clubs would leap at the chance to sign Suarez, whose performances in the first half of the season kept the team afloat.
Ever since he signed a new contract last summer, Liverpool have insisted they have no intention of selling their prize asset and despite the unsavoury nature of this latest incident their stance has not changed.
Suarez will be offered anger management counselling by the Professional Footballers' Association but it seems more likely Liverpool would be inclined to chose to utilise the services of their own in-house sports psychologist Dr Steve Peters.
He has been working one day a week at the club's training Melwood training ground for most of the season, having enjoyed success most notably with Great Britain's Olympic gold medal-winning cyclists like Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton.
Former Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy has also credited Peters with helping him change his behaviour for the better.
PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said the players' union would offer the striker help to deal with his temper.
Taylor said: "There is no doubting his football ability, that's why it is so disappointing and embarrassing when he lets himself down.
"We have to work hard on anger management now. We have trained counsellors in this field and we will be offering their services to Liverpool and the player to try to improve matters."
Suarez's boot sponsors adidas will also speak to their client.
"Adidas takes this type of incident very seriously and does not condone Luis Suarez's behaviour," said a statement.
"We will be reminding him of the standards we expect from our players."
In a phone call on Sunday night, Suarez apologised to Ivanovic and Merseyside Police have confirmed no action will be taken against him after officers from the Surrey force, on behalf of their north-west colleagues, spoke to the Chelsea defender.
The Serbia international did not report any physical injury and told police he did not want to pursue the matter.
"This is now a matter for the Football Association," said a Merseyside Police statement.
Controversy has dogged Suarez throughout his career, not just at Liverpool where he arrived in January 2011 from Ajax having served a seven-match ban for biting PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal.
He was sent off in the 2010 World Cup quarter-final against Ghana for a deliberate handball on the goalline and was spotted celebrating as Asamoah Gyan missed from the spot.
Last year he was banned for eight games after being found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra, a saga which led to Liverpool being criticised for their handling of the matter.
Liverpool will discuss the matter on Tuesday with Suarez, who like the rest of the squad was on a scheduled day off on Monday, before sending their response to the FA.
However, in light of them already fining the player the club will not contest the charge but it has not yet been decided what representation they will have at Wednesday's hearing.