Newcastle facing Gomis race
Thu, 25 Jul 2013 17:27:00
Doncaster Rovers have signed former Manchester United defender Luke McCullough on a two-year deal.
McCullough, who has represented Northern Ireland at U17 and U19 level, had been on trial with Paul Dickov's side at the Keepmoat Stadium since the start of the pre-season.
He signed for United's Academy aged of 16 before going on to captain the youth side throughout the 2011/12 campaign.
The 19-year-old told Rovers' official website: "I heard Doncaster were interested in taking a look at me so I came across and I've not looked back since - I've really enjoyed every minute that I have been here.
"Pre-season has been tough but as the manager has said it will give us a good base to build upon going into the season.
"The manager seems to have a good plan and wants the boys to keep improving.
"The rest of the lads have been very friendly and have made me feel very welcome - there's a good team spirit here."
Aulas confirmed on Wednesday to French television channel Canal+ that Premier League side Newcastle are one of the clubs interested in the forward, who scored 16 goals in 37 games last season and has just one year to run on his current contract.
However, the Magpies look to have competition in their bid to sign the striker, with Aulas posting a message on Twitter stating three clubs have shown interest in the 27-year-old France international.
Replying to a question if there had been any interest for Gomis, Aulas said: "Yes at least 3".
It comes after Aulas told Canal+ that "there is an interest of Newcastle for Gomis. We wait from them to come to us with an offer".
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew was reported as saying earlier in the week that he is keen on the striker, although whether the decision of Magpies' frontman Papiss Cisse to wear the club's strip branded with a pay-day loan sponsor today will cool the interest is unknown.