Premier League

Report: Magpies up Gomis offer

Share This Story

   
 

Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:21:00

Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese thinks he was considered an extra-terrestrial when he first arrived in English football.

The Swiss banker has in his three years at St Mary's developed a reputation for ruthless decisions, including sacking former manager Nigel Adkins in January.

Cortese recognises his approach has been considered unconventional by some but, at the same time, he is not making any excuses.

"When I arrived in English football with a background as a Swiss banker, people looked at me like I was an extra-terrestrial," he said in the Daily Mail.

"The decisions appear ruthless but it was the right thing to do. At first I was hesitant, because football is so opinionated and everyone has a voice.

"It seems cold but I do everything in order to progress. I don't want to lose five matches in a row before I sack the manager - I do it before that happens."

Cortese added: "I want to do things differently and when that happens it creates suspicion, but I like to challenge the traditional views of English football.

"People automatically say, "You have to play like this in League One" or "This is the way to play in the Championship" and I would say, 'Why?'

"I am demanding, but I demand a lot from myself. I want to be an example to my staff and I don't tolerate anyone standing still."

Cortese has already this summer been busy, spending more than £20million on Victor Wanyama and Dejan Lovren, but he on Friday insisted the expenditure is all designed to improve Southampton.

"We try to create a fantastic working environment, whether it's in the offices or on a football pitch. It actually motivates people to work and to work even harder," he told Sky Sports News.

The Magpies have asked the Championship side about the possibility of taking Remy on a season-long loan deal, it is believed.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is eager to increase his attacking options and has set his sights on the 27-year-old Gomis, who scored 18 goals for Lyon last season.

The forward, who is nicknamed 'Baby Drogba', began his career with Saint-Etienne and has been capped 10 times by France.

He has reportedly been given permission to leave Lyon and has been linked with Marseille and a string of other Premier League clubs besides Newcastle.

However, Lyon chairman and co-owner Michel Aulas says Gomis failed to turn up to a meeting last week which had been scheduled about his future.

"We gave him a letter by hand but he did not come," Aulas told L'Equipe.

Remy is another Frenchman who would strengthen Newcastle's attacking options, having impressed for QPR during the second half of last season, despite their ultimate relegation.

The 26-year-old joined the R's in January, having looked set to sign for Newcastle at one point, and scored six times for the London side.

With a World Cup looming next summer, Remy may not be keen to spend the season in the second tier of English football and Pardew has admitted previously that he is one of the players Newcastle are interested in.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by