Premier League

Lloris insists he could have played

Hugo Lloris speaks to the media ahead of France's World Cup playoff against Ukraine.
FOX Soccer.com
Share This Story

   
 

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris insists he is "feeling good" and claims he would have been able to play against Newcastle last weekend.

The France international was knocked unconscious against Everton earlier this month and the decision to allow Lloris to subsequently play on at Goodison Park drew widespread criticism.

Lloris sat out the Europa League win over Sheriff before being left out of last Sunday's 1-0 Premier League defeat by Newcastle on medical advice.

However, Lloris has been training with the France squad this week ahead of Friday's World Cup play-off first leg against Ukraine and he is ready to play for the national team.

"I feel good," Lloris told a press conference.

"I was unconscious for a few seconds, but I was ready to play last weekend. The medical staff preferred me not to."

The keeper was injured after a collision with Romelu Lukaku and Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas suggested the on-loan Everton striker could have done more to avoid the incident.

However, speaking after Belgium's friendly defeat by Colombia on Thursday, the forward insists it was an accident.

"I didn't mean to hit him on purpose, I am not a player with a bad record," Lukaku told Sky Sports News.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by