World Cup

FIFA opens two-day meeting on scandal

Share This Story

   
 

FIFA's ruling executive committee will reconvene on Friday when it is expected to discuss decisions which could change the shape of the scandal-hit 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests.

The committee's two-day meeting began with a four-hour session on Thursday, during which FIFA said it did not directly deal with issues surrounding the two bid races, which have been clouded by allegations of bribery, vote-selling and collusion.

The executive panel chaired by FIFA president Sepp Blatter had been expected to consider delaying one or both World Cup decisions until more credibility and public confidence has been restored to the process.

On arriving Thursday, FIFA vice-president Chung Mong-Joon of South Korea told The Associated Press he expected a "constructive and productive" meeting.

It was scheduled long ago to select a voting procedure which the committee would use in a Dec. 2 secret ballot to choose the two hosts, but has been overtaken by events and began with two of the 24 members temporarily banished from FIFA headquarters.

Corruption allegations involving Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii plus two of the nine bidders have shaken FIFA's control over the two-year multimillion dollar global lobbying contest.

Nigeria's Adamu and Tahiti's Temarii were provisionally suspended by FIFA's ethics committee which is examining evidence from videos and transcripts of interviews provided by the British Sunday Times newspaper.

The panel also is investigating two bidders for alleged collusion in the 2018 and 2022 elections, and four former FIFA executive committee members who were reported saying voters' support was for sale.

Ethics chairman Claudio Sulser said last week he aims to publish findings by Nov. 17, but warned that Adamu and Temarii could be suspended for a further 20 days - beyond the Dec. 2 polling day - if his team needs more time to investigate.

Voting also could proceed with one or more candidates disqualified if the ethics probe decides bidding rules were broken by a vote-swapping alliance.

A leader of the Spain-Portugal committee bidding for the 2018 World Cup denied it was colluding with 2022 contender Qatar.

"The Iberian bid denies reaching any pact with Qatar or any other candidate and has made itself completely available to FIFA to investigate the allegations," bid chief executive Miguel Angel Lopez said in a statement.

The 2018 contest also includes England, Russia and the joint bid of Belgium-Holland.

Qatar's rivals in the 2022 race are the United States, Australia, Japan and South Korea.

In other scheduled business, FIFA's executive was to receive a progress report on preparations for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

On Friday, FIFA also will discuss ongoing problems in its relations with some national members, including Nigeria, Togo and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Blatter is expected to appear at a news conference after the meeting.

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by

SOCCER Videos

Brazil looking for redemption vs. Netherlands Posted: Jul 10, 2014
Mario Melchiot tells us how Brazil can avenge their devastating loss to Germany ...

Netherlands lose to Argentina in shootout Posted: Jul 10, 2014
Mario Melchiot breaks down the Netherlands' heart-breaking defeat to Argentina.

How can Brazil recover from the 7-1 loss? Posted: Jul 10, 2014
Mario Melchiot discusses what has happened to Brazilian soccer and how the natio...

Argentina tops Netherlands in World Cup semifinals Posted: Jul 10, 2014
Mario Melchiot discusses Argentina's dramatic victory over the Netherlands and l...

Pure joy in Munich for Germany fans Posted: Jul 09, 2014
Germany fans were in dreamland in Munich on Tuesday as they watched their side d...