Cote d'Ivoire drops Drogba
ABIDJAN, Cote d'Ivoire (AP)
WORLD CUP NEWS
- Draw: USA in "group of death"
- Two die as stadium collapses
- Hotels asked to explain price hikes
- Pre-World Cup event called off
- Ronaldo expects peaceful World Cup
- Protesters disrupt FIFA's Brazil visit
- FIFA sets 2014 World Cup ticket prices
- Brazil defends right to host World Cup
- Blatter: Brazil WC might be mistake
- Fans killed before test event at stadium
- WC to offer seats for obese fans
- South Africa left with $50m after WC
- Blatter: 2022 tourney may be unsafe
Cote d'Ivoire coach Sabri Lamouchi has dropped Didier Drogba for this weekend's World Cup qualifier against Gambia because his captain ''needs to work hard to get back to his best.''
Drogba, who turned 35 this month, will not play in the Ivorians' first game since the disappointing quarterfinal exit at the African Cup of Nations, which was seen as the striker's last chance at a major trophy with his country.
Lamouchi told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he didn't pick Drogba for Saturday's game because he ''needs to work to become the Drogba you knew before.''
Cote d'Ivoire leads its World Cup qualifying group but Lamouchi says there's a need to ''change the mindset of the team'' after a string of failures.