Besiktas says it's in talks with Kobe
ANKARA, Turkey (AP)
NEVER A DULL MOMENTNot when it comes to the Los Angeles Lakers. Get the latest offseason buzz:
- Kobe: Playing in Italy 'very possible'
- Kobe church altercation under review
- Gasol leads Spain past Poland
- Will Kobe play overseas next season?
- Lakers' Shaw accepts job with Pacers
- Whitlock: Brown's job to stop LeBron
- Witz: Jackson will be missed
- Witz: Ready for Bynum era?
- Coverage from exit interviews:
- Whitlock: Another LA implosion
Ataman said Bryant was waiting for an offer from Besiktas. The club, however, said it would need a sponsor to be able to pay for Bryant's contract.
''Our board will evaluate that,'' Ataman said.
Bryant, who has won five NBA titles with the Lakers and is a 13-time NBA All Star, has been on a tour of China, including a stop in Shanghai on Wednesday. He said he would consider playing overseas during the lockout and mentioned China and Turkey as possibilities.
Representatives other NBA players also have contacted Besiktas, Ataman said, without identifying any of them.
The Turkish League season starts in October.
- Former Duke star signs with Madrid
- Williams scores 11 in Turkish debut
- Knicks' Turiaf headed to France
- Thunder's Sefolosha to Turkey
- Spurs' Parker to play in France
- Kobe, Italian club working on deal
- Agent: K-Mart heading to China
- Mavs' Fernandez staying in Spain
- Nuggets F rejoining Italian club
- J.R. Smith signs with Chinese team
- Wilson Chandler going to China
- Stern: Going overseas a bad idea
Besiktas signed Allen Iverson, the NBA's MVP in 2001, last year but his time in Turkey was cut short due to injury.
Another NBA player, New Jersey guard Sasha Vujacic, signed last week with Turkish club Anadolu Efes. The 27-year old Slovenian guard agreed to a one-year deal with an optional second year.
Nets draft pick Bojan Bogdanovic also signed with Fenerbahce of the Turkish League in June.
Talks between the NBA and the union broke down June 30, and the owners decided to impose the league's first lockout since the 1998-99 season was shortened to 50 games. Both sides say there are significant differences between their proposals, raising the possibility that all or part of next season could be canceled.