NFL Insiders: Texans to contact Smith this week about coaching role
FOX Sports NFL Insiders give you the scoop on the latest news from around the gridiron. Check back here throughout the day for reports from Jay Glazer, Alex Marvez, Mike Garafolo and Peter Schrager.
Sunday (Dec. 8)
•FOX Sports 1 Insider Jay Glazer reports that the Houston Texans want an experienced NFL head coach and are expected to talk with Lovie Smith this week, though they have not yet contacted him.
• FOX Sports 1 Insider Jay Glazer reports that Denver Broncos head coach John Fox will have someone to protect him from getting hit on the sidelines Sunday. Doctors were concerned that standing so long would take a toll on Fox, but he's coaching from the sidelines.
Tuesday (Dec. 3)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Packers coach Mike McCarthy says QB Aaron Rodgers has not yet been cleared by doctors but will practice Wednesday and hasn't been ruled out for Sunday's game vs. the Falcons.
Sunday (Dec. 1)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin expected to get hefty fine for sideline interference; NFL sent video warning coaches about issue Wednesday.
Saturday (Nov. 30)
• The Dolphins have placed troubled OT Jonathan Martin on the non-football injury list. A source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo that Martin will continue to make his full salary while on NFI.
Friday (Nov. 29)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports the league is reviewing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's interfering with a Ravens kick return. No decision on a penalty is expected until next week.
Thursday (Nov. 28)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports Broncos head coach John Fox is returning to work on Monday, says he plans to coach next week though he's unsure if from booth or sideline.
Monday (Nov. 25)
• Dolphins RB Daniel Thomas will miss the rest of the season with a torn ligament in his foot, according to offensive coordinator Mike Sherman.
Sunday (Nov. 24)
• Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin will likely be interviewed a second time by NFL special investigator Ted Wells about the team's bullying scandal, FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports. Martin was previously interviewed by Wells for nearly seven hours on Nov. 15 in New York.
• Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond is facing a four-game suspension for a violation of the league's substance-abuse policy and plans to drop his appeal this week to start serving immediately, FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo confirms. This was originally reported by NFL Net.
Tuesday (Nov. 19)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports an arbitrator has denied the Dolphins' request to postpone OT Richie Incognito's grievance over his suspension. The grievance will be heard Thursday, as scheduled.
Monday (Nov. 18)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer reports the NFL is suspending Colts LB Erik Walden for one for his head-butt of Titans WR Delanie Walker during last Thursday's game.
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Peter Schrager reports the Titans have signed veteran QB John Skelton.
Sunday (Nov. 17)
• Broncos QB Peyton Manning’s ankle is at 80 percent, team sources tell FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer.
• USC athletic director Pat Haden flew to Denver two weeks ago and interviewed Denver Broncos interim head coach Jack Del Rio for the head coaching job, FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports. Interview was day before head coach John Fox had his incident.
Monday (Nov. 11)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports tests on Broncos QB Peyton Manning reveal an aggravation of his previous right ankle sprain and he's expected to play Sunday vs. the Chiefs.
Sunday (Nov. 10)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is expected to be back with the team this coming week after suffering a mini-stroke during last week’s game against the Colts.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports that Texans RB Arian Foster is having surgery sometime this week. "Tough season for him in dealing with the leg and back issues."
Friday (Nov. 8)
Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin will meet late next week with the NFL's special investigator to discuss allegations in the team's harassment scandal, a source told FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo.
Tuesday (Nov. 5)
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers suffers fractured collarbone in Monday's loss to Bears, FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo confirms. Rodgers will undergo tests Tuesday to determine timetable for return.
Sunday (Nov. 3)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports that Marques Colston is inactive for the Saints. He practiced Thursday but was pulled out on Friday.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports that Josh Freeman a healthy scratch for the Vikings, as previously reported by Pro Football Talk.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports that Roddy White is officially inactive today.
Saturday (Nov. 2)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports Broncos head coach John Fox will have a procedure on his aortic valve Tuesday in North Carolina. He will remain in North Carolina for two weeks and miss a month to six weeks of game action. Fox is in the process of determining who will replace him as interim coach.
Friday (Nov. 1)
• The NFL Players Association investigating bullying incidents that led Dolphins OT Jonathan Martin to leave franchise, source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex. Marvez
Tuesday (Oct. 29)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports the Vikings spoke with two teams about a possible deal for DE Jared Allen, but a trade never materialized by Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline
Allen told Glazer in a text, "Proud to still be a Viking. I watched all the trade stuff like everyone else. It is a part of this business. 100% committed to turning this season around."
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports tests on Rams RB Zac Stacy reveal he suffered a low-ankle sprain in Monday's loss to the Seahawks. Stacy is day-to-day.
Monday (Oct. 28)
Sunday (Oct. 27)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports initial tests on Dolphins WR Brandon Gibson revealed he suffered a season-ending knee injury in Sunday's game vs. the Patriots.
• Packers WR James Jones is not expected to play Sunday night vs. the Vikings, FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports.
• The Vikings would be willing to trade Jared Allen for the right price. Hear more from FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer right here.
• Saints TE Jimmy Graham has a partially torn plantar fascia, FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports. Graham is active, but is expected to be limited vs. the Bills.
Friday (Oct. 25)
•Bucs RB Doug Martin (shoulder) could miss anywhere from "two weeks to two months," source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez.
Monday (Oct. 21)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports Dolphins have traded for Ravens OT Bryant McKinnie, according to Ravens sources.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Packers TE Jermichael Finley (neck) has feeling in all his extremities and walked in the hospital Monday morning. Finley is expected to be released from ICU later Monday.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Buccaneers RB Doug Martin suffered what's believed to be a torn labrum in his shoulder that would end his season.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Bears LB Lance Briggs (shoulder) expected to miss six weeks, though surgery not required at this point.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Colts WR Reggie Wayne has torn ACL in right knee.
Saturday (Oct. 19)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports Giants RB Brandon Jacobs (hamstring) not expected to play Monday against the Vikings. Jacobs' injury leaves newly-signed Peyton Hillis and rookie Michael Cox as the only healthy RBs on the roster.
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports the Bengals believe CB Leon Hall has a torn Achilles and will miss the rest of the season. Hall will undergo an MRI Monday to confirm.
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports Titans QB Jake Locker (hip) expected to start vs. 49ers on Sunday.
Friday (Oct. 18)
Wednesday (Oct. 16)
• A source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo the NFLPA filed two grievances this week on behalf of former Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez to recoup money the union says is owed.
• Giants will sign RB Peyton Hillis, sources tell FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo. Hillis played in 13 games for Chiefs last season.
Tuesday (Oct. 15)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer reports the Vikings are seriously considering starting Josh Freeman at quarterback Monday against the Giants. Originally, the plan was for Freeman to learn Minnesota's offense for two weeks, but the Vikings now are pushing to put him in immediately. Freeman signed with Minnesota last week after being released by the Buccaneers.
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports the Packers have placed WR Randall Cobb (fractured fibula) on injured reserve with a designation to return. Cobb will miss at least eight weeks.
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports the Giants waived RB Da'Rel Scott (hamstring) with an injury designation. The team worked out several RBs Tuesday, including veteran Peyton Hillis.
Monday (Oct. 14)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports Giants running back David Wilson will not require neck surgery after seeing specialist Monday. Wilson expected to miss a few more weeks.
Sunday (Oct. 13)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reports Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib injured his hip flexor during the team's win over the Saints. The injury is not considered to be serious. (5:45 p.m. ET)
Friday (Oct. 11)
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez reports that Buccaneers CB Johnthan Banks is the third player on the team to be diagnosed with MRSA. A source also tells Marvez that Banks may still play vs. the Eagles on Sunday. (2:15 p.m. ET)
Wednesday (Oct. 9)
• Texans TE Owen Daniels (fibula) expected to get placed on injured reserve Wednesday with designation to return in eight weeks, FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez confirms. (10:32 a.m. PT)
Tuesday (Oct. 8)
• FOX Sports insider Mike Garafolo reports Colts RB Ahmad Bradshaw will undergo season-ending neck surgery.
• FOX Sports insider Jay Glazer reports Falcons WR Julio Jones is likely out for the rest of the year with a foot injury. Jones is getting a second opinion tomorrow to determine the severity of the injury.
• FOX Sports insider Mike Garafolo reports that Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski (back/forearm) is expecting to be cleared to play this Sunday against the Saints, according to a source.
Sunday (Oct. 6)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Giants running back David Wilson will get a second opinion on his injured neck and could miss a few weeks. Wilson left Sunday's loss to the Eagles following the first quarter.
• The NFL won't be using pink penalty flags past Monday's Jets-Falcons game because of the confusion they caused during Sunday's action, a league spokesman tells FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo. The flags were being used to raise breast cancer awareness.
• The Raiders have released quarterback Matt Flynn, Fox Sports Insiders Mike Garafolo and Alex Marvez confirm. Flynn was acquired from the Seahawks and expected to be the starter, but he lost the job to Terrelle Pryor during the preseason.
• Free-agent QB Josh Freeman has chosen to sign a one-year contract worth $3 million with the Minnesota Vikings, FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports. The Buccaneers released Freeman on Thursday. (11:45 p.m. ET)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports the Raiders will work out free-agent QB David Carr on Tuesday. (12:15 p.m. ET)
Saturday (Oct. 5)
• Bills will work out veteran free-agent QB Dennis Dixon on Sunday, source tells FOX Sports NFL insider Peter Schrager. (5:15 p.m. ET)
• Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski (back) will noy play Sunday against Bengals, source tells FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo. (12:12 p.m. ET)
Friday (Oct. 4)
•Bills QB EJ Manuel (knee) to undergo MRI on Friday morning, Fox Sports NFL Insider Peter Schrager reports. Manuel was injured in 3rd quarter vs Browns on Thursday. (9:28 a.m. ET)
•Browns RB Chris Ogbonnaya to have further tests Friday after suffering a concussion Thursday night against Bills, a source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Alex Marvez. (8:30 a.m. ET)
Thursday (Oct. 3)
•Free-agent WR Austin Collie sign with Patriots, source tells FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo. Collie played his first four years in the league with the Colts.
Wednesday (Oct. 2)
•Titans plan to promote QB Rusty Smith from practice squad later this week as Ryan Fitzpatrick's backup, source tells FOX Sports Insider Alex Marvez. Titans starting QB Jake Locker (hip/knee) out at least next few weeks.
Tuesday (Oct. 1)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports that Buccaneers QB Josh Freeman was told by the team to not attend a team meeting today and to remain in the training room Tuesday. There is suspicion among players that Freeman was told to stay in the training room to create speculation that he blew off another meeting.
• Titans quarterback Jake Locker will not require surgery for hip injury suffered against Jets in Week 4, but expected "to miss a few weeks," according to the team. Ryan Fitzpatrick will start in Locker's place.
• Buccaneers calling teams in effort to trade QB Josh Freeman. "They don't have much to sell," rival GM tells FOX Sports Insider Alex Marvez
Monday (Sept. 30)
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo reports Titans QB Jake Locker will miss at least four weeks with hip injury suffered in Sunday's 38-13 win over the Jets. The team is considering placing Locker, who was released from the hospital Monday following overnight stay, on IR with designation to return.
• Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson will not be fined for his hit on Cardinals WR Jaron Brown in Sunday's game, an NFL spokesman tells FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo. The league is, however, reviewing the hit for a possible fine.
• FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo confirms Chargers LB Dwight Freeney suffered a tear in his quadriceps in Sunday's win over the Cowboys. A second opinion will determine the severity of the injury and whether Freeney will be lost for the remainder of the season.
Sunday (Sept. 29)
• FOX Sports Insider Jay Glazer reports Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski targeting Week 6 return from offseason back, forearm surgery. Sources say Gronkowski primarily concerned with back, not forearm.
• Tampa Bay Bucs QB Josh Freeman inactive Sunday against Cardinals; asked to watch game from suite, not sideline, source tells FOX Sports Insider Mike Garafolo.
• FOX Sports NFL Insider Jay Glazer reports that Oakland Raiders players were actually informed last night that QB Matt Flynn is starting after QB Terrelle Pryor exhibited concussion-like symtoms last night. Pryor sustained concussion in last week's game. (9:14 a.m. ET)