Rubio's mischievous nature shines online
NOV 27, 2012 12:09p ET
MINNEAPOLIS — It would not be a stretch to guess that Ricky Rubio is the only NBA player who would tweet a meme of two tiny bunnies whispering to one another as his means of announcing that he's heading to a doctor's appointment.
It's even less of a stretch to say that he's the only NBA player who, in doing so, would surprise no one.
Monday evening, Rubio posted that very meme on his Instagram account, with the caption "I'll tell you a secret: I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow." Oh, and don't forget the little emoji of what looks like a monkey covering his mouth in surprise. Because that's totally necessary, too.
And then just hours after the bunnies, Rubio's Foot Locker adidas commercial (above) aired during several commercial breaks during TNT's broadcast of the Nets-Knicks game. It was some of the first mass airings of the ad, which features Rubio playing basketball, at a club-type restaurant AND wrestling on a mattress in someone's backyard.
Yes. Wrestling on a mattress. In a suburban backyard. And then making the most menacing face he could make. (So really, not very menacing at all.) By the time the spot was filmed in mid-November, wrestling must have been added to his list of cleared activities – perhaps it's lumped in with lateral movement in his ACL rehab?
Every NBA player should be this fun to cover.
In the month of November, Rubio has tweeted the following messages:
• "Can't wait for tomorrow! Let's go Wolves!!! Season game opener. Let's start it with a big W. Who is coming???? #nba"
• "Wow!!! Thats a great comeback!!!!! Proud of my teammates. Wow!!!"
• "Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. Happy Sunday!"
• "Good morning everyone. Listening "Sweet Home Alabama" while Im heading to practice. I wish u guys a happy week and dont forget to smile."
• "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."
And besides those bunnies, he's also shared a photo of himself in a tracksuit for National Tracksuit Day (apparently this is a real thing) and a shot of teammate Alexey Shved sleeping, post-haircut, with the caption "Gotcha!!!! The young Toni Kukoc is tired!"
Total exclamation point count for November on Twitter: 44. Total number of faux arguments with a good friend and teammate about fashion sense: one. Total usage of the word "swaaaaag": one. Pictures containing the quote "Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a unicorn.": one.
It doesn't get much better than that.
Follow Joan Niesen on Twitter.
+ SHOW COMMENTS +