FOX Sports Exclusive
Ex-Brazilian soccer player beheaded
Police in Brazil are on the hunt for a killer after a former professional soccer player was abducted and murdered, his severed head reportedly left on the doorstep of his home outside Rio de Janeiro.
According to the Daily Mail, Joao Rodrigo Silva Santos, 35, was closing up his shop Monday evening when he was kidnapped by a group of men. Later that night, Silva Santos’ wife reported him missing. Then, early Tuesday morning, she found the gruesome discovery on her doorstep when she left for work.
"Around 4:30 a.m., she heard a noise, opened the gate and [saw] his backpack," reported G1 Globo, via Google Translate. "When she opened it, it was the head."
According to the Daily Mail, Silva Santos and his wife, 31-year-old Geisa Silva, a social worker with the military police, had been together for 11 years. Investigator Rafael Rangel told Brazil's O Dia newspaper that he was unaware of any specific threat that was made to Silva Santos or his family.
Silva Santos played for Bangu, Madureira and Boavista — all soccer teams in the Rio de Janeiro area. Silva Santos' friend, Bruno Santos, told G1 Globo that Silva Santos had also played professionally in Sweden and Honduras.
Now, for some links:
• Oregon's pink helmets reportedly raised $200,000 for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.
• And a former Oregon football player wrote a letter slamming Oregon fans.
• Lindsey Vonn claims she had a hole-in-one in her first round of golf:
• Suave is giving Roy Helu free shampoo for a year:
• Florida State's 21-point spread over Miami is the largest in history between undefeated, top-10 teams.
• The Miami Dolphins cheerleader website was reportedly hacked by a porn site for a brief time Tuesday.
• The Reading Royals are wearing special Halloween-themed jerseys Wednesday night against the Greenville Road Warriors:
• The Toledo Walleye and Kalamazoo Wings will wear these special Star Wars jerseys on Saturday:
• Chris Bosh’s photobombing game is already on point:
• Brandon Meriweather won't be disciplined by the NFL for talking about going after players' knees.
• Fitz Toussaint is stirring the pot in the Michigan-Michigan State rivalry.
• A baby dressed up like Bill Belichick for Halloween:
• And Bill Belichick dressed up like a baby! OK, or a pirate:
• Nick Saban says he has no plans to join Twitter, and doesn't understand why anyone would.
• There are a record 92 foreign-born players on NBA rosters to start the season.
• Zoltan Mesko got waived by the Pittsburgh Steelers, so he’s got plenty of time to hang out:
Well....my schedule just opened up.— Zoltan Mesko (@ZoltanMesko) October 29, 2013
• Behind the scenes of Kate Upton’s Golf Digest shoot with Arnold Palmer:
• Vince McMahon thinks WWE 2K14 could have done a better job of depicting his power walk:
• Chandler Parsons revealed that Jeremy Lin won't be starting at point guard for the Rockets.
• Jerry Ferrara would like to have Kevin Durant in the Entourage movie.
• Kliff Kingsbury and Texas Tech are giving out cash prizes to the best costumes at Saturday’s game against Oklahoma State:
• The Cardinals’ charter flight spent several hours stuck on the runway Tuesday, and some folks have a good idea why:
• Notre Dame wide receiver TJ Jones dove with sharks at Sea World this summer, and now Sea World is supporting Jones and the Irish football team:
• In other Notre Dame news, Everett Golson opened up about his dismissal from the school for cheating.
• The Alabama linebackers coach calls himself a "Johnny Manziel groupie."
• Yep, Yao Ming is still tall:
• Minnesota Wild defenseman Tyler Cuma should be watching more FOX Sports Live:
We get it ESPN, the NBA season starts tonight unfortunately. Mix in a hockey highlight once in a while #LeBronCenter— Tyler Cuma (@TCuma61) October 29, 2013
More Stories From Sam Gardner