Jerry Jones: Romo is more comfortable and confident
AUG 16, 2013 1:34p ET
Injuries have prevented the Cowboys' front five from getting any continuity during training camp and there's certainly reason for concern.
But is the Cowboys owner and general manager concerned with his offensive line, a group that has clearly been one of the team's biggest weaknesses?
"Concerned enough that we used our No. 1 draft pick to bolster it up," Jerry Jones said Friday on the Elf & Slater show on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. "I'm tickled to death with how Ron Leary has come along. He's out of commission for these next two ball games, but he'll be ready to go for the opener. Those are two big pluses. The play of our No. 1 pick Frederick and Ron Leary. They have really added base and strength in there.
"Now, we have 18 linemen in camp, so it's amazing that we're still getting hit particularly in the interior of our offensive line with nicks and some other injuries. But we're getting several of the younger guys back."
The Cowboys attempted to sign veteran offensive guard Brandon Moore earlier this month but after agreeing to join the team, the 33-year-old changed his mind overnight. The Cowboys have shown interest in 36-year-old retired veteran guard Brian Waters but no deal has been agreed upon.
"Nobody's more aware of the need to give our team the confidence and give [ Tony] Romo the confidence that is needed to go where we want to go," Jones said. "Now, the other thing that is really helping us, though, is that we're doing a lot of play-action passing and that really alleviates some of the pressure on your offensive line. We're playing with more tight ends. That gives you more blockers up there. So a combination of things here I think are going to give us better protection.
"I know first hand that Tony's more comfortable and more confident than he was this time last year. We're better than we were this time last year, and have a chance to get better than where we are today."
Follow Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota
+ SHOW COMMENTS +