Rangers rule out Harrison for remainder of 2013
AUG 13, 2013 4:06p ET
Harrison, who had his last rehab start cut short because of numbness in his pitching hand, had been shut down for the season because his back isn't strong enough.
"Effectively his back isn't where it needs to be," Texas general manager Jon Daniels said. "It needs additional rest and rehab and because the back wasn't strong enough, he was making some adjustments probably overcompensating in his delivery and led to some of the symptoms he had in his elbow. Fortunately there's nothing structurally wrong with the elbow. He is going to be shut down and we don't expect him to pitch this year."
The good news is that there are no problems with the two back surgeries Harrison had earlier this year. He met with Dr. Drew Dossett Tuesday, who performed both the surgeries, and everything is fine with the surgical spot.
Harrison, who signed a five-year, $55-million deal before the season, started just two games in April before being shut down.
Harrison had made two rehab starts for Frisco before his Friday start for Round Rock.
Now the focus is on 2014 for the 2012 All-Star.
"We have every expectation he'll be 100 percent by this offseason, but certainly by spring training," Daniels said. "We were hoping to have him back this year. It's not going to happen. Matt's going to be here a long time. We don't want to push it."
+ SHOW COMMENTS +