UFC

Rockhold: Belfort a dinosaur

Belfort: Mentally Tough
Belfort: Mentally Tough
Share This Story

A.J. Perez

A.J. Perez previously worked at USA Today, AOL and CBSSports.com, covering beats ranging from performance-enhancing drugs to the NHL. He has also been a finalist for an Associated Press Sports Editors award for investigative reporting. Follow him on Twitter.

MORE>>
 
   
 

Vitor Belfort has been in mixed martial arts nearly two decades, and his opponent at Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 said the Brazilian middleweight hasn’t evolved much.

“Vitor is the dinosaur,” Luke Rockhold said in a news conference ahead of the Brazil bout. “He’s the T-Rex as he likes to call himself. There is a whole career that I have studied. I’ve done my homework. I know what to expect from Vitor. Nothing is going to change this much in the game for him. I know exactly what he’s going to do and how he’s going to do it.”

Belfort, 36, said those who have followed his lengthy career realize that he’s adapted his game, most recently mixing in more kicks and a better ground attack to go along with his already powerful striking power.

“If you stay the same person, you are making a mistake,” Belfort told FOXSports.com. “You need to find your weaknesses and make them your strengths.”

Belfort said that he’s in as good a shape as he’s ever been, something that Rockhold (10-1) attributed to the fact that Belfort (22-10) is on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Belfort received a waiver to use TRT by the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission.

“TRT doesn’t win fights,” Belfort said. “A lot guys on TRT are losing fights. It’s hard work. People who know me know how hard I work. I’m just following the rules and doing everything legal.”

Belfort said this camp was one of the most brutal of his career. He’s been trained by legendary Cuban boxer Pedro Diaz among others with the Blackzilians.

“I’m training to go 10 rounds,” Belfort said. “A training camp has never gone better.”

This will be a five-round fight, one that could set either up for a possible title shot against longtime champ Anderson Silva. Silva is next slated to face Chris Wideman at UFC 162 on July 6.

Belfort said he doesn’t know exactly how many fights he has left in him before his will to fight becomes extinct.

“The day I lose this passion to fight and inspire myself with all these young fighters come up here now,” Belfort said. “I’m happy to do this as long as I have this passion inside me. I won’t lie to you. Whenever I don’t have this passion anymore, I’m not going to be here to just get a paycheck.”

More Stories From A.J. Perez

Member Comments

Please note by clicking on "Post comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be Polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator.

powered by



UFC Videos

Travis Browne stops by UFC on FOX set Posted: Apr 18, 2014
Travis Browne talks about his training, facing Fabricio Werdum and more.

Werdum wants his shot at the belt Posted: Apr 18, 2014
Heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum talks with Ariel Helwani about facing Trav...

Kennedy: I wanted him unconscious Posted: Apr 17, 2014
Tim Kennedy vents his frustration at not delivering a hammer-blow to end his fig...

Fox Sports Store