AD Haden: USC victims of hoax regarding coaching search
OCT 07, 2013 3:42p ET
Athletic director Pat Haden said Monday the school was alerted that individuals posing as university representatives had reached out to two coaches regarding the Trojans' head coaching position, including ex-NFL coach Tony Dungy.
@USC_Athletics I was not contacted by an official USC rep. Turns out it was someone acting on their own. I have apologized to Pat Haden.— Tony Dungy (@TonyDungy) October 7, 2013
Dungy, a current NBC broadcaster, said on today's ' Dan Patrick Show' that he had no interest in the Trojans job but had been contact about the job opening.
"Tony's discussion on the radio today of being contacted by USC was a complete surprise to us," Haden said. "So were the calls made to the (Denver) Broncos. I can assure you no authorized representative of USC or our athletic department made these calls.
"As I said last week, we will not comment on every name that comes out. It would be a disservice to our players and coaches, who are devoting everything they have into the remainder of our season. We have a head coach right now in Ed Orgeron. We have not offered the job to anyone."